Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Fresh Start



It's that time of year again. Time to evaluate where we've been and where we're going. I recently read a talk by Gerald Causse, in which he observes:

"In his philosophical short story The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery describes the confusion of a little boy who, on discovering a field of roses, perceives that the flower he has, which he has tended with such love, is not unique but very ordinary. Then he comes to the realization that the thing that makes his rose unique is not its outward appearance but the time and the love he has consecrated to taking care of it."

I thought I had learned this lesson years ago, but apparently I didn't. I have been feeling overwhelmed with my "tending" tasks--tasks which never seem to end and which have to be done over and over again. And by overwhelmed I mean that I feel like a raving lunatic by the end of the day. I seriously think they lied to me when they installed my granite countertops. I swear they're large black magnets. Yet, I should be feeling joy--joy that I've been blessed with a handsome husband who works hard to provide for our family, joy that I've been blessed with four lovely children, and joy that I'm able to spend my time and love on my little family.

So for this New Year's resolution, I hereby resolve to stop complaining so much, and to see my time tending my little roses as a consecration. To lovingly prepare dinner for them. To patiently respond to a thousand questions about why we can't wear pajamas all day or poke other people with the Pick Up Stix. To cheerfully clean all the toilets in the house.




Bahahahahahahahaha OK, that's pushing it. But I'm sure you see the point. That's the resolution anyway. Be sure you remind me on January 15 when I'm complaining about dirty socks all over the house, what my resolution was. In the meantime, stop and smell the roses, hope they're wearing clean socks and that their mom is not in the asylum. Happy New Year's!

2 comments:

Likely said...

I love the little prince. have you read it? great post. I need to stop nagging and start appreciating as well. Maybe our husbands need new callings. JUST KIDDING. I am grateful for my husband's calling too.

Chin up, keep your great attitude in tact.

Kristi said...

so I have to go to facebook to find out you have a blog. Love the post - I definately see where you are coming from - not stopping to appreciate. Thanks for the thought.